Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Platelet Update

Kaylee and I made a visit to the hematologist yesterday.

I was a bit concerned about this visit. She has had 2 small nosebleeds since our last visit, so I was quite unsure of what the outcome would be.

She is not the trooper that she used to be. She is old enough now to know that this hurts. She used to offer her index finger and bravely take the stick. Not so much any more...hides her hands and screams at the appropriate time. I don't blame her, I would too. I just think it is interesting that she used to take it in stride and now it is a meltdown.

Anyway, on to the news...her platelets were 149,000! This is HUGE! Her 'normal' is about 32,000. These results are WITHOUT STEROIDS! She hasn't had steroids in well over 6 months!

What does this mean? I don't know exactly...but...it means, in part, that her body is either making more platelets or her spleen has stopped destroying what she does have.

It's amazing, really.

Keep praying for my girl, her spleen and her platelets. We are not out of the woods. However, we do not go back to the hematologist for 8 weeks!

Amazing!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed